We cover in this course principles and practice of cryptography and network security: classical systems, symmetric block ciphers (DES, AES, other contemporary symmetric ciphers), linear and differential cryptanalysis, perfect secrecy, public-key cryptography (RSA, discrete logarithms), algorithms for factoring and discrete logarithms, cryptographic protocols, hash functions, authentication, key management, key exchange, signature schemes, email and web security, viruses, firewalls, and other topics.
- CONVENTIONAL ENCRYPTION
- Classical Systems
- Conventional Encryption: DES, AES
- Contemporary Symmetric Ciphers: 3DES, RC4, RC5
- PUBLIC-KEY ENCRYPTION
- Introduction to Number Theory
- Public-Key Cryptography. RSA
- Key Management
- Message Authentication and Hash Functions
- Hash and Mac Algorithms
- Digital Signatures and Authentication Protocols
- Hash and message digests
- Digital signatures
- NETWORK SECURITY
- Authentication Applications
- Electronic Mail Security
- IP Security
- Web Security
- OTHER ISSUES
- Intruders and Viruses
- Digital cash
- Secret sharing schemes
- Zero-knowledge techniques
- Text book: Stallings, W., Cryptography and Network Security. Principles and Practice, 5th edition, Prentice Hall, 2011.
- Other sources, including: Network Security. Private communication in a public worls, Prentice Hall, 2002.
- Trappe, W., Washingotn, L.C., Introduction to Cryptography with coding theory, Pearson-Prentice Hall, 2006.
- Tanenbaum, A.S., Computer Networks, 4th edition, Prentice Hall, 2003.
- Stinson, D., Cryptography. Theory and Practice, 2nd edition, CRC Press, 2002.
- Menezes, A., van Oorschot, P., Vanstone, S., Handbook of Applied Cryptography, CRC Press, 1997.
- Salomaa, A., Public-Key Cryptography, 2nd edition, Springer-Verlag, 1996.
- Papadimitriou, C., Computational Complexity, Addison-Wesley, 1995.
- Koblitz, N., A Course in Number Theory and Cryptography, 2nd edition, Springer 1994.
- Bach, E., Shallit, J., Algorithmic Number Theory, Vol. I: Efficient Algorithms, 2nd printing, MIT Press, 1997.
- Online resources of Stallings’s Cryptography and Network Security. Principles and Practice, 5th edition.
- Online resources of Tanenbaum’s Computer Networks 4th edition.
- Online resources of Menez, van Oorschot, Vanstone’s Handbook of Applied Cryptography (all chapters available online).
- Previous course page
28h lectures, optional projects, final exam.
Time and place
- Start date: 9th of January, 2017
- End date: 21st of February, 2017
- 10-12, K124B
- 13-15, K124B
- January 9, 2017: Lecture 1: Introduction10:00 am – 11:30 am, K124B, Agora,http://www.vrogojin.net:83/s/wscTBeK6AJz7pJL
- January 10, 2017: Lecture 2: Classical encryption1:30 pm – 3:00 pm, K124B, Agora,http://www.vrogojin.net:83/s/82vtuRLaPLFZ7N3
- January 16, 2017: Lecture 3: Block ciphers and DES10:15 am – 11:45 am, K124B, Agora,http://www.vrogojin.net:83/s/CLHu6K9Q9ThcPrg
- January 17, 2017: Lecture 4: Block cipher operation, RC5, RC41:30 pm – 3:00 pm, K124B, Agora,http://www.vrogojin.net:83/s/8j1t2qIogk5oJUq
- January 23, 2017: Lecture 5: Basic notions of finite fields10:00 am – 11:30 am, K124B, Agora,http://www.vrogojin.net:83/s/ydEe1M976qDn7wC
- January 24, 2017: Lecture 6: Advanced Encryption Standard (AES)1:30 pm – 3:00 pm, K124B, Agora,http://www.vrogojin.net:83/s/O00EpQyR40U1s8n
- January 30, 2017: Lecture 7: Public-key cryptography and RSA10:00 am – 11:30 am, K124B, Agora,http://www.vrogojin.net:83/s/ALkAquIc4hrJL4d
- January 31, 2017: Lecture 8: Protocols for public-key management1:30 pm – 3:00 pm, K124B, Agora,http://www.vrogojin.net:83/s/QPLoYmD7tfrTCQc,
- February 6, 2017: Lecture 9: Authentication protocols, digital signatures10:00 am – 11:30 am, K124B, Agora,http://www.vrogojin.net:83/s/LR5V4m3NV3xLvU3
- February 7, 2017: Lecture 10: Message authentication: MAC, hashes, MD5, SHA-1, HMAC1:30 pm – 3:00 pm, K124B, Agora,http://www.vrogojin.net:83/s/YJm7vTUJE8H8ZNy
- February 13, 2017: Lecture 11: Email security: PGP and S/MIME10:00 am – 11:30 am, K124B, Agora,http://www.vrogojin.net:83/s/ySfuXlItpKUbBKo
- February 14, 2017: Lecture 12: Web security, IP security, Firewalls1:30 pm – 3:00 pm, K124B, Agora,Web security, IP security, Firewalls
- February 20, 2017: Lecture 13: Wireless security, Password management, Viruses10:00 am – 11:30 am, K124B, Agora,http://www.vrogojin.net:83/s/kGQ1UfIyqeApwAn
- February 21, 2017: Lecture 14: Digital money1:30 pm – 3:00 pm, K124B, Agora,http://www.vrogojin.net:83/s/CJ2AKLGLRrI63AK
The courses on “Programmering (grundkurs)”, “Programmering (fortsättningskurs)”, “Praktikum i programmering”, “Datastrukturer”, “Algoritmer”. Familiarity with computers, Internet, email, computer viruses and average-level mathematics. Advanced mathematics (including elements of number theory and finite fields) will be introduced throughout the course whenever needed.
Registration (also for the exam)
Dr. Vladimir Rogojin (vrogojin at abo.fi, room B5078, ICT-house)
Department of IT, Åbo Akademi University.
Lecture slides and recommended reading
- W. Stallings – Stallings, W., Cryptography and Network Security. Principles and Practice, 6th edition, Prentice Hall, 2013
- W. Stallings, L. Brown, Computer Security. Principles and Practice, 2nd edition, Pearson Education Ltd., 2012
- Ch. Kaufman, R. Perlman, R. Speciner, Network Security. Private communication in a public worls, Prentice Hall, 2002.